Sunday, November 2, 2008

Butternut Squash Soup

I need to remember to take pictures of my meals from now on. Next time I make this soup I will take a pic and add it to this post but for now this picture of a butternut squash will have to do.

I first had this soup at Stephanie's house and I loved it. I have always loved squash but had never tasted butternut squash. It immediately became and remains my favorite.



Ingredients:
1 butternut squash
1 yellow or white onion diced
2 T butter
about 2 cups water
1-2 cups milk
salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions:
-preheat oven to 375
-cut squash in quarters, scoop out seeds and place cut side down in baking dish with 1 inch of water.
-bake 45min to 1 hour, till soft
-melt butter in large pot, add onion and cook till lightly brown over med-high heat.
-peel and cube squash, then add to pot with salt and pepper
-add water to pot just to cover and simmer for 15 minutes
-puree soup in blender or food processor (or use a potato masher if you like chunky soup)
-return to pot and add milk until desired consistency
-salt and pepper to taste

I served this soup with salad (spring mix, dried cranberries and pine nuts) and homemade french bread ( I will post that recipe soon)

My meat loving father and brother loved it!

2 comments:

aLi said...

i ate this last night when michele made it for our break the fast dinner. it was so good i couldn't help over stuffing myself.

life at mono lake said...

i have a butternut all ready to test this one out.
still feeling sicky poo
tonight i made french onion soup
the onions gave me gas and i am burping but it was good.
when i feel better i will try to blog.
i hate these sleepless nights of being sick